This morning over my eggs and champagne (just kidding about the champagne), I was reading a great article from The Clever Root, “Risky Relationships: The Eight Killer Foods That Make Wine Taste Terrible”, by Karen MacNeil.
Sadly, the article isn’t on their website so I’ll have to paraphrase her thoughts on those eight foods:
- Artichokes – don’t do with tannic wines, will leave your wine tasting like a tin can
- Asparagus – Sauvignon Blanc would work, but only if you grill the asparagus, as for reds, forget it
- Cruciferous & Leafy Green Vegetable – just say no to wine with these because of the sulfur released from cooking
- Eggs – ditto on the sulfur content
- Chiles – stay away from tannic or high alcohol wines like Zinfandel, the capsaicin in the chilies intensifies the heat, tannins, and alcohol
- White Wine Vinegar – makes you wine taste astringent, use lemon juice, good quality Sherry, or balsamic
- Raw Garlic and Onions – sautée them first
- Chocolate – forget reds and white, head for Port or Madeira to stand up to the power of chocolate
Interested on how others feel about food and wine? Pop over to Serious Eats and check out this ARTICLE.