This morning over my eggs and champagne (just kidding about the champagne), I was reading a great article from The Clever Root, “Risky Relationships: The Eight Killer Foods That Make Wine Taste Terrible”, by Karen MacNeil.
Sadly, the article isn’t on their website so I’ll have to paraphrase her thoughts on those eight foods:
- Artichokes – don’t do with tannic wines, will leave your wine tasting like a tin can
- Asparagus – Sauvignon Blanc would work, but only if you grill the asparagus, as for reds, forget it
- Cruciferous & Leafy Green Vegetable – just say no to wine with these because of the sulfur released from cooking
- Eggs – ditto on the sulfur content
- Chiles – stay away from tannic or high alcohol wines like Zinfandel, the capsaicin in the chilies intensifies the heat, tannins, and alcohol
- White Wine Vinegar – makes you wine taste astringent, use lemon juice, good quality Sherry, or balsamic
- Raw Garlic and Onions – sautéed them first
- Chocolate – forget reds and white, head for Port or Madeira to stand up to the power of chocolate
Madrona Wine Merchants offers free wine tastings featuring 4-5 selections on a theme every Saturday from 2 until the bottles run out and on Sunday we offer a mini-tasting of two wines all day from 11-5.